The Twinning TR07IBEN01 devoted to capacity strengthening and support to the implementation of the Nitrates Directive in Turkey is being implemented under the leadership of Austria. IOWater has supported the Austrian Federal Environment Agency by contributing to the tasks of the 5 working groups in charge of preparing secondary legislation:
1. “Seminar Working Group 1” – Support for the development of action programmes for vulnerable zones identified (or for entire territory) as basis for further secondary legislation “General fertilizer management (application -periods, -near water saturated,- flooded, -frozen, -snow covered, -near water courses, -sloped grounds and rules for enforcements)” ;
2. “Seminar Working Group 2” – Support for the development of action programmes for vulnerable zones identified (or for entire territory) as basis for further secondary legislation” “Manure management (provisions for storage capacities and for application of manure and other types of fertiliser)”;
3. “Seminar Working Group 3” – Support for the development of action programmes for vulnerable zones identified (or for entire territory) as basis for further secondary legislation “Supporting materials (information for farmers for assessing their compliance with the provisions such as limit of organic nitrogen, volume of manure storage, crop yield limits”.
4. “Seminar Working Group 4” on delineation of vulnerable zones: national methodology, strategy/way, identification of zones, both for groundwater and surface water impacted, criteria for delineation, role of monitoring results in designation and delineation of vulnerable zones, examples of delineation for groundwater body, and lessons learned from national delineation of nitrate vulnerable zones for groundwater.
5. “Seminar Working group 5” – support for elaboration of the Good Practice Code about land use management, including the use of crop rotation systems and the proportion of the land area devoted to permanent crops relative to annual tillage crops, the covering vegetation in rainy periods, the establishment of fertilizer plans on a farm-by-farm basis and the keeping of records on fertilizer use and the prevention of water pollution from run-off and the downward water movement beyond the reach of crop roots in irrigation systems.
- Preparation of presentations related to the topics addressed in the seminars: delineation, references for nitrates in crops and livestock system, rules and action programmes, specific cases in crops and livestock zones, etc
- Presentations during the seminar, debates with the participants on the way to address the directive in Turkey, namely the delineation, the methodology of selecting the priorities in Turkey, the role of the various bodies to be involved, etc.
- Support to the EU state members team on the preparation of the workshops
- Reports for each seminar
- Translation in English of the French Code of Good Agriculture Practices, to be given as an example and explanation in detail on how it is implemented
- Translation in English of the Spanish Code of Good Agricuklture Practices as another example
- Explanation on the French system of water management, particularly the role of the Basin Agencies in the Nitrate Directive process
- Specific input on irrigation management related to fertilisation (as the other EU countries involved in the project have no strong experience in irrigation)