Romania - Reporting on EU Urban Waste Water. Treatment Directive and Structure Implementation and Information Framework
The overarching objective is to assist the Government of Romania and particularly MWF to analyze and address the challenges in meeting the Urban Waste Water Treatment Directive (UWWTD) requirements under the overarching environmental objective to improve the quality of water bodies under the Water Framework Directive (WFD). Special attention will be devoted to the (i) preparation of an updated implementation plan for the Directive 91/271/EEC; (ii) assistance for the update of the national mechanism for monitoring, evaluation and reporting on UWWTD implementation; (iii) recommendations towards development of a National Strategy for the Water Supply and Sanitation Sector.
- Review Romania water diagnostic report, EBRD WSS sector strategic paper as well as the first output under this RAS – Concept paper on support provided to update the UWWTD implementation plan including approach, workplan and roadmap of the associated activities;
- Propose specific measures and actions to enhance the information processes and systems for monitoring, evaluation and reporting on UWWTD implementation in Romania by:
- Evaluating the existing process of UWWTD implementation reporting;
- Assessing responsibilities of institutions in the process and their capacity;
- Assessing existing approaches, procedures, methodologies and available resources;
- Outlining examples of relevant international practices for monitoring, reporting and evaluation mechanisms;
- Developing a proposal to improve the process of data collection, processing and validation of information regarding UWWTD compliance reporting to the EC, including responsibilities and timeframe;
- Contribute to the preparation of a Report with technical specifications on how to update and make the existing UWWTD reporting systems SIIF compatible by:
- Evaluate the existing national UWWTD reporting systems and their compatibility with the SIIF requirements;
- Review the process of application of SIIF principles;
- Assess the process of keeping information up to date, relevant institutional responsibilities, capacity and resources to do so;
- Develop technical specifications to update the existing UWWTD reporting systems (or systems under development) to become SIIF compatible; the proposed update will enable visualization of the UWWTD reporting file and support validation of available information.
- Enhance the capacity of the personnel of MWF and ANAR to work with an updated national UWWTD data collection and reporting system and SIIF, by delivering two trainings on SIIF reporting requirements and implementation, including recommendations for improved data collection and reporting processes and systems regarding UWWTD compliance (as well as drawing lessons from other EU countries, which are more advanced in the implementation of the UWWTD);