The consortium BRL/OIEau has been selected by MV to implement the FOPIP over a period of 24 months.
The regional water company Medjimurje County Water and Sewerage Company (138 staff), Medjimurske vode d.o.o. (MV) got a loan in December 2012 from the European Bank for Reconstruction and Development (EBRD) to finance the construction of new sewage and a wastewater treatment facility for the municipality of Novo Selo na Dravi.
In order to ensure that the new investments will be fully integrated and result in the highest level of operational and financial efficiency, EBRD is also financing a Financial and Operational Performance Improvement Programme (FOPIP) through EBRD’s technical assistance programme.
Overall, the Project aims at:
(i) reducing the discharge of untreated sewerage to the rivers watercourses in Medimurska County, which ultimately flow into the regionally important rivers of Drava and Mura;
(ii) improving the financial and operational performance of the Company and its environmental and social management systems and practices; and
(iii) creating a contractual relationship between the City, the Company and, if needed, between other Shareholders and the Company. This contractual relationship will encourage continued operating and financial improvements and efficiencies.
Detailed diagnosis of the company organization and performance has been implemented in the first 3 months of the project where opportunities for improvement were identified.
• Strategic actions were defined in close collaboration with MV management and a Performance Improvement Program was elaborated.
• Development of activities related to organization, HR management and training
• Monitoring of FOPIP implementation
• Preparation of Public Service Agreement between the company and the Municipalities shareholders
• Analysis of Private Sector Participation opportunities