African Water Facility (AWF) Knowledge products
The assignment aims to prepare knowledge products based on AWF's experiences, lessons learned and practices in the following areas: Water Sector Resources Monitoring & Information Systems.
The objectives of the assignment are:
- To prepare knowledge products on Water Resources Monitoring & Information Systems which include success stories, podcasts, videos, project and policy briefs, short power point presentation among others for selected projects.
- To prepare success stories, podcasts, videos, project and policy briefs, short power point presentation on cross cutting issues such as mainstreaming gender, climate change and adaptation, employment and social equity related to urban sanitation, water resources management and water resources monitoring and information systems.
The Consultant will undertake the following tasks:
- Assessment of the water resources monitoring and information systems projects that have benefited from AWF support and establish whether the information management systems have had an effect on achieving the outcomes taking into account cross cutting issues such as mainstreaming gender, climate change and adaptation, employment and social equity.
- Categorize the projects based on the period they were officially closed by AWF and analyze medium and long-term functionality of the information management systems and tools, measure the technical sustainability i.e. resilience and adaptability of the system at operational level and key factors promoting ownership at national and regional level;
- Conducts a benefits mapping, analyze the intended and unintended, positive and negative long-term effects achieved by the systems. Establish evidence if the systems have enabled duty bearers and decision makers to perform their duties more efficiently than before. Take account of the type of risks averted by the project, identify the key factors that led to the achievements or non-achievements of the results;
- Prepare success stories, podcasts, videos, and audio of project and policy briefs, short power point presentation for the selected Water Resources Monitoring and Information Management Systems;
- Prepare 4 videos and 4 policy briefs the AMCOW, ECOWAS, NIGER-HYCOS and Togo projects) , short power point presentation on cross cutting issues such as mainstreaming gender, climate change and adaptation, employment and social equity related to water resources monitoring and information systems for each of the selected project.
- Establish the extent to which the identified changes attributes to the project and analyses the adaptive or management capacities of national and regional partners to enhance process management, networking and peer learning. Identify the key stakeholders benefiting from the systems and establish their perspective on the system.
- Establish causal links or relationships between the project and the desired outcomes. Identify and isolate any external factors that may have influenced the desired outcomes at national and regional level. Analyze the relevance of the monitoring and evaluation tools developed and establish the extent to which the tools have effectively addressed the key gaps in monitoring and evaluation by the targeted institutions as per initial project design;
- Review the changes produced by the projects i.e. institutional arrangements /legal frameworks adopted at national and regional levels and identify any linkages that shows how the systems supports the work of other initiatives implemented by other partners. Demonstrate the level of support from these partners’ in terms of commitments and technical capacity to continue the work or plans to replicate the efforts;
- Assess the key outcomes and net gains attributed to the project with emphasis on improvements made on organization effectiveness and efficiency on issues related to planning, project execution, monitoring of results and reporting and decision making processes; and
- Draw key lessons learnt and confirm internal management processes, suggestions on how to strengthen or improve as well as upscaling.
OiEau has developed a methodological framework for the assessment of water resources monitoring and information management systems financed by the AWF. On this basis, 13 projects results were analysed and interviews conducted. This resulted in the following knowledge products:
- one general report, based on the 13 projects analysed and it related ppt presentation
- 4 videos for the AMCOW, ECOWAS, NIGER-HYCOS and Togo projects
- 4 policy briefs for the AMCOW, ECOWAS, NIGER-HYCOS and Togo projects