Strategic development of ONID
Mis à jour : 27/03/2015
The National Irrigation and Drainage Office (ONID), which manages large irrigated areas in Algeria, was entrusted, when established in 2005, with major strategic objectives:
- Increasing the surface area of irrigated lands by taking it up to 400,000 ha in 2020;
- Improving the efficiency of community irrigation systems;
- Promoting a proactive water use by optimizing irrigation, achieving water savings or by developing the reuse of treated wastewater;
- Providing an advice service to irrigators;
- Reducing the time needed to complete major irrigation projects.
After assessing the achievement of the objectives assigned to ”ONID” and measuring the strengths, on which to capitalize, and weaknesses, that must be corrected, the International Office for Water prepared a medium and long term Strategic Development Plan for ”ONID” by:
- Conducting a review of the changes that occurred at ”ONID”;
- Establishing an assessment of its positioning based on a SWOT analysis;
- Formulating goals for ”ONID”;
- Drafting specifications for selecting a service provider to establish the action plan and method for monitoring its implementation.
In May 2014, after four months of investigation and thinking, IOWater presented its recommendations to the head of the Directorate for Agricultural Water at the Ministry of Water Resources, the Ministry of Agriculture and Rural Development, the Director of ”ONID”, in the presence of some of their key staffs and representatives of the Belgian Technical Cooperation.
En savoir plus: